After a little more noodling I’ve finally got the Vodafone Mobile Internet working properly on Ubuntu. It’s actually easily than I realised at the weekend – all I needed to do was install and run the software, then set the apn field on the configuration as ‘internet’. You also need to enter something in the username and password field, although this isn’t actually used to connect.
The only other thing you need to do is ask Vodafone to remove the adult content blocker. Then you can access raunchy sites like The Onion or Flickr.
All of which means I’m finally back online. Excellent.If you want to follow what I'm up to, sign up to my mailing list